|Date Posted||August 8, 2016|
Advertising, PR, and Marketing
This is a unique position for a junior marketer who is incredibly smart, proven, and driven and wants more responsibility while undertaking a wide variety of impactful activities.
The Assistant Marketing Manager is responsible for developing, supporting, executing, and – in some cases – driving marketing programs and tactics for some of Rand McNally’s technology products (Consumer Electronics and Commercial Transportation), as well as managing the company’s social media presence and some P.R. efforts. As part of the company’s Marketing/Design team, the AMM will report to the Marketing V.P. and work closely not only with our team but with the Transportation and Retail sales organizations, folks in Product Development & Management, Customer Support and more.
It is critical that the successful candidate: 1) is an extremely strong writer, 2) has strong project management skills, 3) is flexible and highly productive, 4) has experience working in content management systems and email platforms, 5) is creative, and 6) has a very strong work ethic.
It would be helpful if the candidate has experience in consumer electronics, but it’s not required. We’re looking for someone who is smart, enthusiastic, and a total team player.
Specifically, the AMM will be responsible for:
• Media/Advertising: Managing our advertising programs and tracking as well as media buying by securing annual insertion orders (print, radio); creating a monthly advertising and email review document.
• Creative: Assisting with concepting, writing, and editing advertising as well as development of other materials such as sales collateral, brochures, web pages, etc.
• Copy writing: Creation of ad hoc emails; the ability to work within the email system, build content in templates (Responsys, Pardot). Writing and managing two monthly e-newsletters – including building the newsletters in Expression Engine templates and – as needed – created web landing pages. Assisting with writing video scripts, radio copy, as needed.
• Project management: Scheduling and tracking materials for product launches (packaging, collateral, etc.) as well as managing inventory levels/printing/reprinting of various brochures, collateral.
• Social Media Management: Responsible for daily postings, monitoring, management of social media related to the company’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts. With a small team, develop strategy, content, then execute.
• Public Relations: Driving, executing, and managing public relations outreach, inbound consumer correspondence, and other marketing communications duties such as writing white papers and actively tracking media impact and making adjustments for future campaigns. The AMM, working with the Marketing V.P. should identify and handle outreach to key media outlets; develop relationships with key writers, editors; develop compelling stories and write clear compelling press releases, by-lined articles and white papers; and create case studies based on in-depth interviews with key customers. This position also will execute releases via PR Newswire, Cision.
• Promotional Rebate Programs: Staying in touch with the retail sales team; keeping a promotions roster; contracting for rebate programs and providing all the necessary paperwork/collateral.
• Keeping the wiki sites up-to-date for internal communication
• General proofreading
• Ad hoc projects as they arise•
The candidate should have 3-5 years of marketing/project management experience. The candidate should be smart, creative, an excellent writer with top notch grammar skills, organized, and with a track record of success. The candidate also should have the ability to work independently to solve problems (take initiative, be proactive) but it is critical that this person works well with others, is a positive team player, and is willing to go the extra mile to get things done.
The candidate will need to have a technical ability in order to understand the technology products being developed and sold. Candidates should be very proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Salesforce.com; market research tools like Zoomerang or Survey Monkey; social media administration. Knowledge of Expression Engine, Pardot, Responsys would be pluses.
Educational requirements include a B.A. or B.S. degree from a top school.
Travel requirements are modest.
B. All Other Information
All Other Responsibilities:
• Working cross-functionally and cross-departmentally to ensure Rand McNally meets its goals. Most interaction outside of Marketing/Design will be with Product Management and Sales.
• Working with all members of the team to pick up ad hoc marketing projects.
All Other Requirements:
• High energy
• Loves to dig in to confusing situations and come up with answers, process; detail-oriented with a focus on problem solving
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organization skills and a strong ability to multi-task
• Wants to make a difference
• Takes direction/feedback well but needs little oversight; good upward management
• Comfortable in a rapidly changing environment
• Outgoing and fun
Success Criteria/Include Critical Behaviors:
• Customer Focus – Understands and seeks out customer perspective; acts on feedback and works to improve products, programs, relationships.
• Creativity – Questions status quo and finds betters ways of doing things; is able to come up with innovative ideas but also able to vet them and make them realities.
• Collaborative – A leader who works well with folks in various positions, functions within the organization; involves people and makes them a part of the process but can move things along; effective.
- Business Acumen (behaviors include):
Seeks out information
Demonstrates company knowledge
Incorporates technology into business practices
Assesses financial implications Clear Priorities (behaviors include):
Achieves results committed to
Demonstrates sense of urgency
Communicates initiatives and priorities
- Creativity (behaviors include):
Challenges current methods/work plans
Seeks multiple solutions
Finds new solutions to issues Customer Focus (behaviors include):
Understands customer perspective
Shares, acts on customer feedback
Recommends ways to improve service
- Employee Development (for Supervisors)
Uses the Superior Performance Process (SPP) effectively with staff
Consistently gives employee feedback and direction
Helps employees develop quality objectives Leadership (behaviors include):
Takes ownership for actions/results
Challenges the status quo
Encourages change positively
Supports continuous improvement
Models integrity and optimism
- Collaborative (behaviors include):
Develop effective work relationships
Values individual differences
Involves team members
Effectively manages conflict
Clarifies own role and team members roles Decision Making (behaviors include):
Uses sound judgement
Objective in approach
Seeks alternative courses of action
Acts despite lack of complete information
- Communication Skills (behaviors include):
Listens carefully to others
Provides timely information
Clarifies after issues are discussed